Friday, March 19, 2010

Interview with Glenda Mac Naughton of DaxDesigns

Interview with Glenda Mac Naughton of DaxDesigns
Shop:http://www.daxdesigns.etsy.com
(Includes Bead boutique - unusual beads for sale)

Tell us a bit more about yourself?
I live by the seaside in south eastern Australia. In my day job I am an academic who creates with ideas and words and in my beading world I enjoy the mysteries of creating with colour, shape and form.

How did it come to be that you started working with seed beads?
I saw some fantastic woven beadwork in a bead shop in Austin, Texas and I decided I¹d like to try it. I bought a book, some needles and beads that day and on the long flight between the US and Australia gave it a try. The rest they say is history!

How long have you been creating with seed beads?
About 10 years off and on.

Is there was any significance to the name of your shop?
Dax was a much loved dog we rescued from a dog¹s home who sadly died from a snake bite. He was named after a character on Star Trek - Jadzia Dax. Dax is a Trill symbiont, a lifeform that is hosted in symbiosis by a race of humanoid aliens called Trills, Each of the hosts has access to the memories of the previous hosts, including the accumulated skills and work experiences but is also influenced by them. Our dog shaped us and we shaped him, we
each learnt from the other. In my beading I shape the beads but the beads and all beaders before me shape my work and I hope my work will shape others in the future.


What inspires you?
My beadart is inspired by shapes, patterns, colors and meanings of cultural and natural worlds near and far. Many of my designs use traditional beadweaving techniques that women have used in diverse cultures over time to create beadwork of great beauty and significance to their daily lives. Some of this beadwork carries hidden messages, some forms their dowry and much of it contains their wealth in a wearable form. All of it intrigues, enchants and inspires me to use beads to create wearable bead art that celebrates this tradition and brings diversity to what we see and wear and in daily lives.
 
Do you listen to music or TV while you work?
I often bead whilst watching TV at night ¬ it¹s a social time with my partner. Finding other times to bead is tricky with what has been a demanding day job.

Do you have common colors you work with?
I love all colours and go through phases but at present bright is best.

What is your favorite color palette?
I gravitate to limes, oranges and purples at present. They are fresh, edgy and vibrant.

Do you have a favorite technique? Which one and why?
I always return to Peyote - it has a lovely rhythm to it that I really enjoy.


Do you do shows or vending of any sort? Where?
I have just begun selling at local craft markets on the Bellarine Peninsula where I live


Do you teach beading classes? Where?
Not at present but I plan to later in this year.

Do you sell your work in any galleries/shops? Where?
I sell in a couple of local shops - the Drysdale Craft Shop and the Red Pidgeon in Barwon Heads.

Where do you see yourself in your business in 5 years?
Hopefully, growing and selling larger commissioned pieces but definitely still full of challenge, enjoyment and inspiration.

7 comments:

  1. It is so nice when we get to know each other better through our love of beads and color.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview! Love how she came up with her name :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for taking the time to post this interview. It was a lovely opportunity to reflect on beading in my life. Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a big fan of vibrant color and love Glenda's work. She has wonderful use of pattern. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful interview - and I've always wondered if her name had anything to do with Dax from star trek :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very lovely work and an interesting interview. I enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great interview. Glenda does beautiful work. I always enjoy reading about fellow EBW members.

    ReplyDelete